Saving your messages
If you have an S60 phone, your WhatsApp conversations are saved automatically every day at 4am (your local time). Make sure you also run a manual back up when you want to make sure all conversations are saved:
1. Open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Chat History > [Backup chat history]
2. Tap [Yes] to back up chat history
3. Restoring your messages
If you are deleting and reinstalling WhatsApp, you will be prompted with a message to import your backup after you first open your new copy of WhatsApp. Click in [Restore] and your chat history should appear.
If you need to transfer your chats from one S60 phone to another, before you install WhatsApp on your new phone, just transfer your SD card to your new phone, if you have one (If not, you will need to copy the entire ‘wa’ folder from your old phone into your new phone’s memory). Install WhatsApp and click on [Restore] when you see it and your chat history should appear.
Here are some technical information about your backup:
1. Backup files are saved in a folder called ‘wa’ and are called MsgStore.bak.
2. Backup files are saved to both your phone’s internal memory and SD card, but only given that there’s enough space.
3. Backup files are only valid for 7 days after last saved. Make sure you import your chat history before they expire!
4. Backup files are phone number sensitive; they will only work with same phone numberor SIM card
5. Backup files are saved in a format to be opened with WhatsApp. If you want to read your conversations on your computer you can send them as text from WhatsApp to your email.